homefigures and vignettes vehicles dioramas aircrafts publications

"Monte Cassino"
A german Paratrooper in 1/9 Scale


parachute


published in Issue #25 of XtremeModelling Magazine
see further Publications here

xtrememodelling

This is a 200mm figure from Warriors range and it is quite impressive - in it's dimensions, it's very dynamic body posture and expression and in it's price. But it's worth the money. I have painted this figure using two wellknown painting techniques - oils for the face and arms/hands, acrylics for clothing and equipment.

Well, starting the face with a priming coat of Tamiya's flesh XF-15 which I have applied with my airbrush onto all flesh areas of face and arms/hands. After a 24h hour drying time I've applied a thick layer of burnt sienna (Oilpaint from Lukas' range) overall the complete face, ears and neck making sure all dents & grooves where soaked. Excessive paint has been removed step by step thereafter using a new clean brush. Use gently strokes downwareds nearly as if you were drybrushing your model. I have cleaned my brush regularly with an tissue till nearly all brown oil paint has been removed (leave some oil paint in dents only). Even in this status the face has got some "depth". Now I started drybrushing with Humbrol Flesh step by step. By adding some white oil paint in each step the face got more depth. Last I have painted the most exposed areas of the face (nose, chin, forehead ets.) with pure white oil paint what results in a quite realistic satin finish. Have applied some rosŤ paint onto the cheeks, but very gently. The eye's pupils I have painted first with an ivory shade for the "white" areas, some brown oil paint for the pupils and a black dot for the iris each.

The trousers got primed using Tamiya's khaki XF-51 and drybrushed using the same but brightened khaki acrylic paint. The jacket got a priming coat of Tamiya's medium gray XF-20 with a bit of flat earth (XF-52) added. The base camouflage patterns I have painted with a mixture of XF-26 "deep green", XF-68 "Nato brown" and XF-65 "field grey" in a ratio of 80:5:15. Followed by a grey blue pattern of "black", "pale sand" and "russian uniform ww2" (all colors from Vallejo range), mixed with water. A bit time consuming this step was but as well as the following step which saw the painting of camouflage stripes with a fine hair brush (XF-26 "deep green").

The equipment was painted "old school" using different colors from Tamiya and Vallejo, washed with oils and drybrushed with vallejo acrylics. The latter method takes more time but you will receive a realistic flat finish.

Finally I have added a belt for the MP and dusted the lower area with different pastel chalks of grey and brown shades.

parachute
parachute
parachute
parachute

parachute parachute prachute parachute parachute
parachute parachute parachute parachute parachute

parachute
parachute
parachute
parachute

© 2007
contact