Panther Ausf. D, 1/35 (WIP)
|One of the most successive german battletanks during WW2 was without
any doubt the Panther in all it's variants. Not only the formidable
75mm gun but more the total package of armament, plating and speed is
important. That is why I have decided to take a closer look to a
Panther and have choosen the Panther D from ICM. This kit is a reworked
release but a lot of extra detailing was to do. One way to do that is
shown here now, a work of 2006 and an " Improvement of the Basics" to a
moderate assembly kit.|
first I've installed the turret (without ground plate) and the
substructure and prepared them for applying the Zimmerit coating. The
covering plate of substructure and the rear plate didn't fit well to
the substructure so I have had to do some corrections with the aid of
the head of a candle and two clamps. The Zimm I have made of Miliput.
My references show an early Panther D with a common ribbed pattern at
the tail, turret, sides and the gun mantlet. A unregular waffle pattern
was applied at the front and so did I. Some areas at the sides of the
tank where left blank, similar to the reference.
After 3 hours drying time I have scratched off some areas of the Zimm with a knife to achieve quite realistic spallings.
The handles of the tools I have made of drawn sprues which has two
advantages to me - no sanding the casting seams at the original handles
and the clamps. The car-jack I have installed in elevated position
cause otherwise he pushes onto the exhaust pipe covering and he
couldn't installed in straight position. The container for the gun
cleaning rods I have made of lead foil which makes realistic damages
possible. Several smaller details were applied using my hexagonal and
round punch&die-sets and PE's from other kits. All handles are made
of brass wire. The rear stowage boxes kept not for long in their
original condition, partially heavy damages after a short time of use
were quite normal. So I have rebuilt them by using lead foil and have
battered them more or less intensive. Drivers hatch and commanders
cuppola I have installed open to be able to place some crew members in
Panther should be part of a diorama and is placed in a quite dynamic
position as he's driving down a hill in full speed. That's why I have
installed the undercarriage respectively the suspensions in different
elocated positions. Lateral plates are made of PE's from an Voyager
Set. The turret was a quite simple thing, less details in comparison to
other sections. Have added rivets, screwings and handles. Because of
mentioned diorama szene I've fixed the long gun in it's later position,
gently lifted to the most upward position possible. Even the tanks
drives downwards the gun will point directly to the enemy later.|
During this phase of assembly I have added the zimmerit coating at the
turret's front using Mr. Surfacer 500 and a knife. The same for the
drivers visor hatch, the front track covers and the rear turret hatch.
The Painting was done my usually way. Startin with a priming coat of
car acrylic primer (white) direct from aerosol can, a complete coating
with Tamiya "dark yellow" followed 24h ours later. Green camouflage
sheme was added thereafter (Olive Drab). The redbrown patches were
applied gently along and across the greenish patterns (Red Brown).
Markings were sprayed using stencils by Stencelit. Washing and
Drybrushing the common way.
The pics showing an un-finished Panther. The final result will be shown here in a couple of months.