is one of my first serious attemps in modelling AFV's, a SdKfz 11 from
AFV-Club with Eduard PE's and DryDecals from Archer.
Although there were 6 (!) versions inside the kit I have used non of
them. I have decided to attach my vehicle to the heavy platoon of a
anti tank company of Pz.Gren.Rgt. 74 of 19th. armoured division,
whereas this vehicle towed a 7.5cm Pak 40/L46 (anti tank gun).
The model was
primed using car-acrylic primer. After 24 hours it was coloured with
Tamiya - german grey (XF63) using my airbrush. After another 24hour
drying time Tamiya - dark yellow (XF60) were sprayed whereby at some
places the grey colour is still slighty visible. Further 24 hours later
the camouflage scheme was sprayed using Tamiya-olivegrün (XF62).
By the way - I am diluting all Tamiya-colours with Isopropylalcohol
cause it is not expensive, you can get it in every pharmacy and there
is no water inlcuded. The division sign was sprayed in XF03, signal
yellow with an stencil of Edurad, the tactical markings (towed anti
tank unit, heavy platoon) are dryprints of Archer. The license plates
are hand painted.
After the remaining details were painted the model was washed in 2
steps. First a relatively intensive wash with burnt umbra, afterwards a
2nd soft wash with black. I am using therefore oils diluted with
terpentine. All steps were made relatively soft cause the weathering
process should be visible but not to strong. Then the model was
drybrushed with lightened ground colour, oils were used for this. Some
especially heavy used areas were afterwards treatened with Vallejo
Oily-Steel. The running wheels were washed and drybrushed separately.
The both drive sprockets were finally - at very heavy used areas,
especially caused by the tracks - drybrushed with oily steel followed
by Tamiya- silver metallic (X11). The running surfaces of the other
wheels as well as the tyres of the front wheels were rubbed with
graphit (from a pencil).